Go Racing!

The NNJR Race Licensing Chairman will also be a great resource for all your questions. Time to get behind the wheel!

Are you ready to take that step from watching road racing to getting behind the wheel? It’s not an easy process, but SCCA has produced more road racers than anyone, so you’re in good hands.

These are step-by-step instructions and guidance which will help you obtain an SCCA Competition License. If, upon reading this guide, you have questions or special requests, the Licensing Specialists at the SCCA National Office will be happy to help you. Write/Phone/e-mail them at P. O. Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400; 1-800-770-2055, or licensing@scca.com. The NNJR Race Licensing Chairman will also be a great resource.

We realize that you probably have many questions on how to begin racing. How much does it all cost, what tips are there to keep expenses in check, what options are there for obtaining a race car, and many other questions are answered in this free online resource GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com. There’s also a free mentor program you can take advantage of.

If you’re interested in getting from the sidelines to the track, you’ll benefit from clear and easy-to-follow instructions on becoming actively involved in motorsports. Check out SCCA’s “Go Ahead – Take The Wheel” resource.

It’s very important that you become familiar with the General Competition Rules, otherwise known as the GCR. These are the rules that govern SCCA Club Racing. Rule books can be downloaded here.

If You Have No Previous Racing Experience
STEP 1 – Join the SCCA
Joining the SCCA has never been easier, simply click here. All forms are available here.

Next, you’ll need to go visit your doctor for a sports physical, download that form, as well as the Novice Permit form. If you are 16-18 years old and want to drive competitively or work in a hot area, you’ll need to complete the Minor Release and Waiver and Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (Form MS-L – MUST BE PRINTED IN COLOR). These are available for download, or you can contact SCCA to have one mailed to you. If you are under 21 and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, you will also need to complete the Minor Release and Waiver and Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (Form MS-L – MUST BE PRINTED IN COLOR).

STEP 2 – Submit your Paperwork
Submit the Novice Permit Application with all of the required documents and Novice Permit fee to the SCCA Central Licensing Department at P. O. Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400; OR you may obtain your Novice Permit through your local Region’s licensing representative (see NNJR Race Licensing Chairman). NOTE: If you are 16-17 years of age, you must apply for all Competition Licenses through the SCCA Central Licensing Department at the National Office. The Novice Permit, often referred to as a “logbook,” allows you to enter an SCCA Driver School and later, SCCA Regional Club Racing events. Almost anyone 16 years and older, who has a Motor Vehicle Operators license, is eligible for a Novice Permit. Items required prior to issuance of a Novice Permit include:

  • A current Physical Examination* dated no more than three months prior to application.
  • Two passport size photos.
  • A photocopy of both sides of your Motor Vehicle Operators license
  • 16 and 17 year olds:
  • a. A completed Parental Consent, Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
  • b. A completed Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
  • If you are 18-21 years of age and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, a notarized Minor Waiver Release form.
  • $110 Novice Permit fee. *NOTE: If you have health problems, you must get the approval of the SCCA Medical Board. For details contact the Central Licensing Department at 800-770-2055.

STEP 3 – Prepare to enter an SCCA Driver School Event
Check the “Events” section of the web site, or click here to go straight to the “Driver School” page, which has a list of upcoming events at the bottom. If there is no upcoming event in your area listed, check SportsCar magazine or your Region’s newsletter or web site for additional schedule listings. Call the phone number listed next to the event date that interests you and request an event entry form to be sent to you. Some Regions hold Drivers Schools only in the Spring, others conduct them year round; however, you may attend an SCCA Driver School anywhere in the country. To attend an SCCA Driver School, you must arrange for your own properly prepared race car. You will also need approved driving gear, including an SCCA approved helmet. If you do not have a race car, you will have to rent or lease one in order to attend a school. Renting allows you to concentrate on driving and also permits you to consider which class best fits your goals before you buy a car. Rental prices generally range from $500 – $2,000 depending on the car type. Contact your local Region’s Competition Chairman for assistance in obtaining a rented vehicle.

READ AND BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE GCR BEFORE your first school, paying special attention to the section on Flags! This is where you’ll find information about specific vehicles as well as equipment requirements and standards.

STEP 4 – Driver School Checklist
Upon receipt of your event entry packet, READ ALL the information provided. Most importantly, note the rules and regulations specific to the event and the race track. Complete your entry form in its entirety and return it to the person listed. Make absolutely certain your personal driving equipment, (i.e., Helmet, Driving Suit, Gloves/Shoes, etc.) is in good order, and that your car is race-ready BEFORE the first on-track sessions. Be punctual for your classroom sessions. These are mandatory.
Make every effort to have a qualified mechanic on hand to ensure your car runs properly, as you successfully must complete all the on-track sessions in order to get credit for the school.

STEP 5 – SCCA Regional Competition License…and Beyond
Upon completion of two Driver Schools and two Regional Races (you’re still a Novice for your first two), you are eligible to receive an SCCA Regional Competition License. You have two years from the date of issue to complete the Novice requirements. Once the requirements are met, send your completed Novice Permit, signed off by the event Chief Steward at your second Regional race; a copy of your Physical Exam; and $75 to the Central Licensing Department. You will soon be the proud owner of a Regional Competition License. After successfully completing four Regional events, you may upgrade to a National Competition License.

If it’s road racing you are interested in, you will most likely have to attend at least two SCCA approved Driver Schools. However, if you attend an accredited racing school, it may count as one, or even both of your required SCCA Drivers Schools.
• If you attend a private racing school before your first SCCA Driver School, the Chief Steward of your SCCA Driver School may waive your second SCCA Driver School.
• If you attend a private racing school after your first SCCA Driver School, you must request a waiver from your Divisional Licensing Administrator. You can obtain the address of your Divisional Licensing Administrator from this web site (or write/call/ the SCCA Central Licensing Department.

NOTE: While the SCCA Driver Schools and private racing schools have similar names, they are somewhat different in scope. A primary goal of an SCCA Drivers School is to teach novices how to race safely and expose them to racing in the SCCA.

• Accredited Driving Schools
• SCCA Regional Driving Schools
• Divisional Licensing Chairman: (See Divisions map to verify your Division ).
• Northern Pacific Division
• Southern Pacific Division
• Rocky Mountain Division
• Central Division
• Midwest Division
• Southwest Division
• Southeast Division
• Great Lakes Division
• Northeast Division

Depending upon your previous racing experience, some or all of your licensing requirements may be waived by the Chief Steward of your SCCA Driver School or by your Divisional Licensing Administrator.

An example: If you are a kart champion and pass your first SCCA Driver School without difficulty, Chief Stewards may waive your second SCCA Driver School. Another example is a driver who previously held an SCCA National license but has not raced for a few years. Depending on this individual’s previous racing record and the length of the layoff, it’s possible the Divisional Licensing Administrator may waive the driver back to a Regional or National license. Or, the Administrator may require a “retread” to complete a Drivers School or a private racing school before a waiver will be considered. If you have previous racing experience and would like a waiver, document your experience and present your request to your Divisional Licensing Administrator (links listed above).

NOTE: Fees and requirements listed here are subject to change. If you have questions about getting started in Club Racing, please direct them to: Licensing Inquiries – Licensing Department General Inquiries – Terry Ozment Technical Inquiries – John Bauer or call us at (785) 357-7222 or toll-free at (800) 770-2055. (If sending e-mail, please include your full name, return e-mail address and telephone number in the body of the message).

NNJR Race Licensing Chairman
Here is where you find out what you need to get behind the wheel and race. Any questions can be directed to the chairman at licensing@scca-nnjr.com.